Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. - Psalm 25:5

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Media fast.

Everything inside of me is telling me "put it down", "live the life that is in front of me, not the life that's behind the screen". No matter how hard I fight it, it fights back harder. It really feels like a trap.
 
The other day someone said "I have seen on Facebook what you've been up too Landen". There is a lot about that statement that stirred a fire in me. Especially the look of confusion on Landen's face. He was wondering how they knew what he had been up too.
 
When I was growing up, when someone saw what we had been up too, they were either a part of the event or they knew us. I want that for my son. I have to hold my self accountable for plastering his face all over Facebook and Instragram with all the things that we do.
 
I spend my time and attention away from my family and activities on Instagram looking at pictures that people put up. Some who I know, some who I 'kinda' know and some who I don't know at all.
 
I have said that I need Facebook because "my family is on Facebook" and that is how we "stay in touch" or "how am I suppose to see my friends that live far away". The Lord has made it clear that is clearly just another excuse, another strong hold in my life.
 
Just because it is a good picture, doesn't mean I need to share it. How about I share it on my walls or to my family!
 
Just because we do something cool or fun, doesn't mean I need to share it. I love what my friend Meagan said "If I didn't post a picture of it, did I really go?" Did we really do it?
 
The Lord is pressing hard for me to do something about this. I started writing this blog last night and I woke up this morning with it on my mind. All morning I have pondered on it. We are trying to get ready for a party and I can't stop thinking of it. I need to get this out there, of my chest. (If any of you truly care.)
 
When I get off of Facebook and Instagram, how will you see my pictures of our swim parties, how the Lord is working in our lives, when I speak in from of the church, our craft times, my boy's sweet face, our home building progress, our vacation, or all the fun times we have..... Well you will all just have to believe that our life did not stop! {Shocker!}
 
I will still be taking pictures because it a passion of mine. But I will keep them for my family. They will be our memories. Maybe I will start a photo album, like my mom did. Something that I can keep, pass to Landen! Not in Instagram.... man I hate thinking that many of my photos are stored nowhere but on Instagram. "Sorry Landen, if you want to see your childhood pictures, go to Instagram." No thank you. Makes my stomach turn.
"Bacon Horns"
 
I do love seeing my friends pictures but I would really rather have a personal relationship with my friends. Lets work on that shall we?
 
Maybe this will be for a month, maybe longer. I don't know.  Media had gotten out of control! It will be hard for me, really hard! I already want to post this picture of Landen and Zebb for the world to see! I think I may have a problem and that is how I know it is a problem and time to stop the problem.
 
If you need me call me, text me, email me, write me!
 
See you on the bright side!
 
Be Blessed
 
In Christ
Miranda
 
(And yes, I checked Instagram one more time before I posted this! Lame and shameful!)
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment