Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. - Psalm 25:5

Monday, April 8, 2013

Consider the Lilies

I have been reading 1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp. (Counting gifts given by God, daily.) It has really shown me that there is more in my life to be thankful for than I might have thought. To make it a point and look for the little things in the mundane of life, even they are gifts. For every good and perfect thing comes from above.
 
The other day I came across something that has stayed with me. I wrote it larger in my journal so I can see it clearly.
Consider how the lilies grow.
Just that 5 word statement has a packing a bit punch for me. It continues to say that they (the lilies) do not labor or spin. It is found in Luke 12:27 - pertaining to worrying.
 
When I stop to consider how to lilies grow: I am stopping to see the small gifts in life. I am taking time to enjoy each moment, with Brandon, Landen, family, friends, strangers. That I am not trying to labor beyond my limits. That I am not spinning out of control.
 
Consider how the lilies grow.
 
They don't strive to be something they are not. They know what they are and the role they play.
 
They are lilies. They are content with being lilies. (The perfect message from Mrs. Janet yesterday during SS.)
 
Contentment is a choice. Comparison is the killer of contentment.
 
Some would say that a lily can't be compared to, let's say, a rose - the perfect flower. But a lily is in its own right, a beautiful flower.
 
The same can be said for us. We should not be compared to other people.We should not compare ourselves to other people. For we, in our own right, are beautiful.
 
God made one of us. There are no duplicates.
 
When we start to compare ourselves to other people and our things to the things that other people have, they become less attractive.
"But godliness with contentment is great gain." - 1 Timothy 6:6
(Let Jesus provide all that I need and I will have great gain.)
 
Consider how to lilies grow.
 
They want nothing more than what it takes to grow.
"But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." 1 Timothy 6:8 
"I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." - Philippians 4:10-13
 
Being content is something that is to be learned. Through counting my God given gifts and considering how the lilies grow, I hope to learn more of that. Little by little.
 
Want what you have. Right now, I can learn to be content with my messy house. I love the people who make it messy and I have stuff to make it messy! I am content with the clothes that I have even though the stores make me feel otherwise. We can give some away to people in need, because we have plenty.
 
Want the people you have. Everyday with my husband and child may not be perfect but they are MINE and I am THERE'S.
 
Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. They are content.
 
I am Miranda Allbright and I am learning to be content.
 
*Be Blessed Friends*
 

No comments:

Post a Comment